Booking Through Thursday: Book- The Movie!

March 12, 2009

I love today’s question, because it’s something I think about anyway:

What book do you think should be made into a movie? And do you have any suggestions for the producers?

Or, What book do you think should NEVER be made into a movie?

I have so many lists and daydreams about books I love being turned into movies.   Comfort Food, by Kate Jacobs would make a fantastic movie.  Mostly because I have a crush on Oliver, even without entirely being able to picture what actor would play him.  (I really want to see the scene with the shoes.) I wish American Gods by Neil Gaiman could be a miniseries.  I picture it being filmed in the same sepia tones and bluegrass soundtrack as “O Brother Where Art Thou.”

I think it would be impossible to make The Westing Game into a good movie, but I wish they would try.  And yes, I’ve heard of the movie they did make in I think the early 90s. They gutted the plot.  I’m sure it’s awful, and I don’t want to see it.

Books that should never be movies?  The Alienist. (Too scary at the end.)  Twilight (Perhaps, should never have been a book.  But we all know my opinions on that score.)  The seventh Harry Potter, because it has the road trip that never ends, and I defy them to make that interesting to watch on film.

1. March 12, 2009 7:20 am

Good suggestions. Now you have me thinking of the differences between movies and miniseries, and which books would work for each.

2. March 12, 2009 7:29 am

Miniseries are definitely better than movies for some adaptations.

3. March 12, 2009 7:55 am

Any good book should be able to be converted into a good film. Here’s my response:

4. March 12, 2009 8:29 am

Good list there, mine is here, http://zetor-mogsblog.blogspot.com/

5. March 12, 2009 9:15 am

Agree on American Gods as a mini-series. Ditto on the last Harry Potter book because it’s just to long and cutting out scenes might not work (but if the screenwriter & director can pull it off, my hat’s off to them!). Twilight, I’d agree with you there yet again! 😀

Mine’s here. Happy Thursday!

6. March 12, 2009 9:37 am

I enjoyed Comfort Food. Maybe Lifetime will pick it up.

7. March 12, 2009 11:27 am

I like the twilight remark. I did read the books, and I saw the movie. “The host” was much better.

8. March 12, 2009 11:44 am

I agree about the last Harry Potter. And they are going to drag it ou because its being done as two films!

9. lena permalink
    March 12, 2009 2:56 pm

Yes yes yes yes yes on the Neil Gaiman. 🙂 They did this with Neverwhere – I’m sure American Gods would be even better.

10. March 12, 2009 10:31 pm

I agree with you about the final Harry Potter book. The sixth book also won’t film well, but it answers so many vital questions about how Tom Riddle became Voldemort that they can’t just leave it.

I hated The Westing Game as a kid. It was a trendy book back then, but I could never quite “get” it. Wonder how I’d view it now. Here’s my reply to this week’s BTT. Always fun to do these. http://yourlibrarycard.blogspot.com/2009/03/at-movies-with-books-this-weeks-btt.html