Booking Through Thursday: Multitasking

March 10, 2011

Today’s Booking Through Thursday asks

btt button

Do you multi-task when you read? Do other things like stirring things on the stove, brushing your teeth, watching television, knitting, walking, et cetera?

Or is it just me, and you sit and do nothing but focus on what you’re reading?

(Or, if you do both, why, when, and which do you prefer?)

I will read when I do certain things, like eat breakfast or lunch by myself. Or I’ll read a book with the laptop set up nearby, where I can see it out of the corner of my eye. In case anyone messages me or it’s my turn in Scrabble. So that’s the divided attention of multitasking, even if it’s not two entirely complete simultaneous tasks.

I very rarely read while walking, as I’ve had that end badly. It involved a mailbox.

If I read more audiobooks, I’d probably multitask more. As it is, there are only so many things you can do while holding a book. I wish I could hold a book while doing laundry or the dishes. I’ve conditioned myself to fall asleep listening to audiobooks. Sometimes, it’s the only thing that works to get me sleepy. So probably best to reserve them.

Advertisements
  1. March 10, 2011 8:39 am

I can’t do anything except listen to music when I am reading! I gotta turn to Audio books! Only way to keep up with reading!

Here is my BTT: Multi-Tasking post!

2. March 10, 2011 9:45 am

I so wish I could read a book and do laundry too … wouldn’t that be nice? … I guess that’s where audiobooks come in.

Here’s my BTT Post

3. March 10, 2011 9:49 am

Yes, the holding the book part is tricky…I’ve done a variety of things while reading, but mostly in the past.

Here’s MY BTT POST

4. March 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Mostly, I like a quiet place to read.

5. March 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Though I combine reading ‘real’ books and other tasks from time to time, I DON’T do that for audiobooks! I always listen to audiobooks when I’m in bed and preparing for sleep.

6. March 10, 2011 2:56 pm

Holding a book and doing other things is tricky, I find it easier when reading on my laptop to do other things.
    Sally.

7. March 10, 2011 4:12 pm

I also gave up on the walking and reading, too dangerous and embarassing. Standing and reading on the other hand, I handle just fine.
    Still, I do multitask: http://mostraum.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/booking-through-thursday-multitasking/

8. March 16, 2011 6:46 pm

I don’t think I have ever multi-tasked while reading, unless reading on a plane or train counts. I like to lay down in a quiet place with a book, otherwise I can’t concentrate.