Booking Through Thursday: Series or Stand-Alone?

March 24, 2011
tags:

Today’s Booking Through Thursday asks:

btt button

• Series? Or Stand-alone books?

Both! I read a lot of mysteries, and a fair amount of other genre fiction. You get a good assortment of strong series writing, ongoing character development in those.

Some favorites:

• the Ender Wiggin books by Orson Scott Card. Except for Children of the Mind. Feh. (Scifi)
  • the Gideon Oliver mysteries by Aaaron Elkins (mystery)
  • The Tortall series by Tamora Pierce (fantasy)
  • the Merlin books by Mary Stewart (fantasy)
  • Laura Pederson’s series about Hallie, starting with Playing By Heart. (not genre fiction but too good to resist)
  • Cherry Ames novels- technically, they are genre fiction. Nursing/vintage kids books.
  • Connie Willis’ time travel books (historical science fiction)
  • the Kate Martinelli books by Laurie R. King (mystery)
  • Various adaptations of Sherlock Holmes. On the theory that, even if a modern writer’s taking him on, it’s still part of the Sherlock Holmes series.

Of course, I love too many stand-alone books to list them, in all sorts of genres. Some, I wish could be series, so I could find out what happens next, or just hang out with the characters. I wish Kate Jacobs would write a sequel to Comfort Food. I’d love more in the American Gods universe from Neil Gaiman.

Advertisements
  1. March 24, 2011 8:11 am

You cited great books here!

For me, it is always stand-alone books. There are exceptions though. Check out those in my BTT: Headlines post!

2. March 24, 2011 8:31 am

I think the key here is that the good writing is what makes a series or a stand alone worth reading not that it’s a series or stand alone. I would be interested in seeing what more could be done with some stand alone books if they were turned into series … it would be interesting.

3. March 24, 2011 9:11 am

I like both, but books in a series more. Here is my answer for this week’s Booking Through Thursday.

4. March 24, 2011 10:29 am

Ooooh thanks for the list of your favourites I am going to check some of them out (I love people’s recommendations).
    Sally.

5. March 24, 2011 11:53 am

I like both as long as it keeps you reading.

6. March 24, 2011 6:04 pm

I love to read, and sometimes it’s really nice to have a series, because you *know what to expect* when you pick u each subsequent book. Sometimes though (a lot, lately) I like to go to the library and grab armloads of unrelated books and read them in random order (sometimes literally closing my eyes and pulling them out of the bag). It’s made for some interesting book reviews on my blog.

I have to admit your answer triggered me, though. I can no longer read Orson Scott Card’s work sinceI found out he supported California’s Prop 8, that overturned gay marriage. I used to love his stuff, and I feel the loss greatly, the cause of social justice is one near and dear to my heart, and I have to stick to my guns.