Booking Through Thursday- Age Inappropriate?

May 19, 2011

In contrast to last week’s question–What do you think of censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too “old” for your kids to read?

Well… I don’t have a direct say in the reading habits of any kids at the moment. I can review books that I think would be great for kids and teens to read.(Sometimes tween books are a tough call. I’m still working on sorting out what books work best for 9-12 or so.) But I can’t ban or deter them from books.

That said… I really wish I could stop young girls from reading Twilight. Edward’s pretty much a stalker. And Bella’s spineless, wanting to surrender to him completely. It’s hard enough for girls to stay strong and feisty in the teenage years, without having the perfect role models for subsuming the sense of self. Read Twilight, sure, fine, and watch the movies. After you’ve loved and lost a few times, and a little of the fairy tale has been tempered with realism, enough to know all that sparkles is not necessarily a good idea, or a good boyfriend. Then again… this is a lesson that some adult women haven’t learned.

Buffy, on the other hand, is a perfectly good role model of how a teen girl should treat vampires. The series has some hiccups in the way love and power play out, but for the most part, power imbalances are self-correcting in a good way.

Comforting thought- maybe Twilight mania will taper off. Maybe the next role model for a great fandom romance will give the girl character a better chance at a spine. I know… that’s a lot of optimism for this hour of the morning.

Advertisements
  1. May 19, 2011 7:01 am

Oh I’m offended! LOL No really, I have a friend who didn’t like it either. You said you said “Edward’s pretty much a stalker” she said “Edward is an abusive boyfriend” I think both of you are right. .

Bunnita

2. May 19, 2011 7:04 am

I like that you gave some real examples in your answer. I have to agree with your take.

If you are interested, my answer is here.

3. May 19, 2011 7:54 am

I wholeheartedly agree with you. Twilight is teaching a generation of young girls that it is okay to let a guy run your life, tell you who you can hang out with, and that it’s okay to pine and be pathetic waiting around for some guy to come back. Edward is a controlling and abusive boyfriend and Bella is a spineless girl who no girl should want to emulate.

4. May 19, 2011 8:10 am

I totally agree with your take on Twilight…poor role models, for sure! I can’t even recall such book heroes/heroines when I was a kid. Maybe mine were swooning over some romantic hero, or living the salacious scenes in Peyton Place. Times have changed!

Here’s MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

5. May 19, 2011 10:56 am

I agree with your premise entirely. Rather than ban the books, I suffered through the first one (sorry Twilight fans, but it was like torture) and discussed the points you mentioned — like Bella making Lucy Manette look like a tower of strength, etc. If they’re going to read, better they should read with a critical eye!

6. May 19, 2011 1:05 pm

I worry about kids who think Twlight characters are good role models, I find them all hilariously funny. I think kids should find better books to read.
    Sally.

7. May 19, 2011 2:15 pm

I totally agree and haven’t read the series for those same reasons. Shows both males and females in a bad light!

Here’s Mine