An E Reader for E????

May 26, 2011

My birthday present!

My birthday is amazing. There’s the whole Book Week to play with (thank you, publishing industry, for an excellent present!)

And my parents are pretty amazing.

Tucked into a card was a note that said:

Good for the E-reader of your choice:

So now, the question:

Is there a perfect e-reader for me?

Things I want:

• Good battery life
  • Compatible with a bunch of formats so I have access to books from as many sources as possible.
  • Easy to use library books.
  • Plenty of free/cheap books.
  • Nice to read- I will have to spend some hands-on time with the readers out there to select one that feels and looks good to read.  I’ve tried the current incarnation of the Kobo and am dubious!
  • Useful on nice sunny days, and different lighting.
  • Compatible with a format book publishers use to send out ARCs.

What do you think of the e-Readers you have?

Advertisements
  1. May 26, 2011 6:13 am

Me? I use my iPad. Goodreader is fantastic for PDFs (both for gaming as for work docs). There are a bunch of different book reading apps that can handle various formats.
    The downside – lousy sprawled out in the park in the sun.
    The upside – PvZ and Angry Birds. (Okay, maybe that’s not a huge upside.)

2. May 26, 2011 7:57 am

I have, and really like, a Kindle DX (the big one). A little Kindle would probably be fine too.

Battery life is good. There is a ton of free stuff available on Amazon (most public domain stuff, but hey). You can read PDFs on it, though you lose some of the note-taking functionality when you do. Reads fine in sunlight.

Don’t know about library books with it, or ARC formatting.

3. May 26, 2011 10:05 am

/startinggeekout

I’m a fan of my Nook Color, but the caveat is that you have to spend 15 minutes or so rooting it when you first get it. I can read standard BN books, as well as sideloaded Epubs (the stuff libraries lend), Kindle books, Google books and even those rare Borders books. What it means is that I can shop around for the best price on a book, and it broadens the choice of ebooks to pick from (ie, Amazon has a lot of stuff that BN doesn’t, but BN has great specials almost every month).

The big issue is the reflectivity of the screen. You’re not going to want to read on this if you’re outside.

Also, as to format issues, if you end up getting an e-reader, check out Calibre. It’s a great little application for converting between e-reader file formats.

/endofgeekout

4. May 26, 2011 10:12 am

I of course love my iPad, but for you I’d suggest a Nook Color. Rache can hack it for you so you can get multiple formats. I love the Kobo’s lightweight feel but it’s pretty limited.

5. May 30, 2011 1:07 pm

I’m thinking based on your requirements a classic Nook (not the Nook Color) might be a good option for you. If you know anyone that has one ask them if you can play with it for a day.

6. May 31, 2011 5:27 pm

BTW, we want reviews of the eReaders as you make your decision.

Trackbacks