Booking Through Thursday: Own Or Borrow

June 9, 2011

This week’s Booking Through Thursday asks:

All things being equal (money, space, etc), would you rather own copies of the books you read? Or borrow them?

I think, even if money and space were no object (an infinite library, what a nice daydream!) I would probably do what I do now: I don’t buy books very often at all. Part of that, is the great good luck I have to be a book reviewer. Books arrive in the mail all the time, like presents!

I also use the library, if a book’s on my radar. If the book has been recommended, but I’m not sure I’m going to be completely, madly, rereadingly in love with it.

Right now, I’ll buy a book if I love it, but I’ll take it for a spin from the library first. I buy books I know I’m going to reread, or if I know I’m going to want to open a few pages here and there, and maybe not read it all in sequence. The Book Thief is one like that for me. The imagery and language stunned me about 2 pages in, so I returned it to the library and bought a copy.

Advertisements
  1. June 9, 2011 8:03 am

I mostly borrow books, too, but buy those I really like.

My BTT post.

2. June 9, 2011 10:02 am

Ah, yes, I do have a fair amount of review copies that I didn’t factor in my “I like to own books” manifesto. Though, even if I didn’t, I’d end up buying a lot since I do like to HAVE my books.

3. June 9, 2011 10:09 am

It’s great to own the books you love, I agree.

4. June 9, 2011 10:15 am

I am all for selective hoarding. I already own more than 2500 books!

Here is my BTT: Own or Borrow post!

5. June 9, 2011 10:46 am

I’m a big re-reader so I like to own my books.
    Sally.

6. June 9, 2011 5:53 pm

I do enjoy owning books. There’s something about having a collection of them >.> That being said, with limited funds I tend to really only collect the ones from authors I truly enjoy… although as you said, being a book blogger does seem to increase the number I own which are not necessarily all true gems.