Booking Through Thursday: Vacation Reading

October 20, 2011

Booking Through Thursday asks: Do your reading habits change when you’re on vacation? Do you read more? Do you indulge in lighter, fluffier books than you usually read? Do you save up special books so you’ll be able to spend real vacation time with them? Or do you just read the same old stuff, vacation or not?

I tend to read a mix of genres, or get obsessed with certain authors or genres, but that will happen whether I’m on vacation or not. I think I read more when I’m on vacation. But only fractionally more.

Since high school, whenever I’m on vacation with my parents, a scene something like this plays out:

(Elizabeth finishes a book and sets it aside,  within sight of Mom.)

MOM: Wait, are you finished with that? Didn’t you start it yesterday?

ELIZABETH (nods a little bit sheepishly and trying not to laugh.) I started it last night.

MOM: And you’re finished already? Wretched child!

The Wretched Child thing has been a family running joke as long as I can remember. I read faster than either of my parents. Even when I try to savor a book, I tend to zoom through it, especially when I have plenty of time to relax and read. Do I remember the details? Not always. But I have fun.

When I’m traveling with my parents or my cousin, I read more mysteries, because I share them with Dad and with cousin Clarke. Dad likes police procedurals more than I do, and Clarke shares my love of a good forensic tale, with plenty of bodies and science. Although she can handle the gory details better than I do. Sometimes, I catch myself muttering “ooh, ick!” as I read. But I keep reading.

Advertisements
  1. October 20, 2011 6:08 am

LOL @ the “ooh, ick” part of your post. but i like you’re reasoning for the type of books you take on vacay with you!
    Trish – My BTT Post

2. October 20, 2011 7:55 am

Your dad has a good taste in books 😉 😉 I’m not a fast reader (or at least I’m not as fast as you are lol) but I do read more when I’m on holiday. A lot more 🙂

3. reading rendezvous reviewz permalink
    October 20, 2011 10:42 am

That is so cool. I love to read those too. must begin to check more out.

4. October 20, 2011 12:50 pm

I’ll read a book in a night, too. My husband is amazed, but he’s not a reader. I don’t think he knows what it’s like to be so absorbed in a story that you can’t put it down!

I just got started on mysteries … only read Gail Bowen so far. I’m looking forward to reading more of those!

5. October 20, 2011 1:48 pm

Sometimes I wish I could read that fast. I like when you can share parts of a book with someone else, that is slightly in my answer also.

My BTT

6. October 20, 2011 1:50 pm

Haha, I’m like that with reading/my parents during vacations, too! Before I started taking an ereader with me, I’d have to pack about ten books just to make sure I’d have enough to read during our one week vacation. And then I’d read all of them by day five.

7. October 20, 2011 3:53 pm

I love reading on vacation. It’s so much fun!

8. October 21, 2011 4:36 am

That sounds like me and my Mum all the time. She’s always looking at me wondering how I managed to read a whole book that fast!

Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂
    ~ Claire @ Project to be Read

9. October 21, 2011 9:06 am

I always wish I was able to read faster. I’d be in the group with your Mom.