No Buying Books 2016: Place Your Bets & Win a Book
I’m going to bring back my New Year’s Resolution from 2015. No buying books in 2016. Reading books I own, review copies, and books from the library. Making a dent in my massive stacks of unread books.
It was good for me in 2015! I managed to read books that had been in my TBR pile for months, even over a year. Yes, I got stacks upon stacks of books at the Book Expo. But I also used my library card more, and read review copies and posted reviews in a somewhat timely fashion.
I didn’t crack until mid-April! (And then I fell off the wagon in spectacular fashion, with the purchase of Diane Duane’s nine-book Young Wizards series. I can’t be blamed. It’s Diane Duane.)
And as I said last year, I am turning it into a contest. Pick a date, and win a book. Last year, Russ called it, and I handed off a book from my stash.
Ahem… So, this year, the same resolution is in effect. I’m not buying books in 2016.
I may or may not have placed a pre-order on December 30, of about four different much-anticipated books that will be published in 2016. Doesn’t count, I tell you! It happened in 2015. So there. Including Diane Duane.
- Leave a comment to specify a date of 2016 on which you think I will break my resolution and purchase a book.
- The person whose guess comes closest will win a book, selected and sent by me!
- Only U.S. residents are eligible to win. No international shipping.
- Your prize will be randomly selected by me, and may be an ARC, galley, or used book, may be YA or genre fiction or nonfiction.
- No more than two winners will be selected. (If more people select the same winning date, two will be randomly selected.)
- I pledge to be honest about my book purchasing.
- Books purchased for others do not count.
I think that covers everything. Place your bets! I’m off to read a book I already own.
(Inside tip: I predict that I will definitely crack sometime around September, unless I manage to get a galley copy of James Benn’s latest Billy Boyle novel.)